Visiting Metro Manila Churches

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Like many other Catholics, I also observed Holy week by visiting at least seven churches around Metro Manila. With my nephew and houseboy as my companion, we went "church-hopping" on Good Friday.

At the outset, I explained to my companion the nature of "Bisita Iglesia". Alas, my explanation did not sink in. Even if I keep on telling them to behave well and to just pray inside the church, there they are holding on to their gameboy and cell phones. From time to time I have to "shhhh" them because of their loud whispers. On hindsight, I am still grateful that they came with me rather than stay at home and play the whole day.

Anyway, I consider visiting different churches as a way of spiritual renewal. Although our stay in one church is brief, at least it was prayerful. It has been a long while that I last meditated and I have this weakness of falling asleep when I say very long prayers or listen to long sermons.

What did I pray for? Well I prayed for peace of mind, peace at home, peace in the Philippines, and peace in the whole world. I also prayed for honest, orderly, and peaceful election (HOPE). Of course I did not forget to pray for guidance that my next career move would be successful.

Here are the photos of the churches we visited:

San Sebastian Church
This was our first stop: San Sebastian Church in Manila. With its unique architecture, it is one of the most beautiful churches in the Philippines.


The Benedictine Church near San Beda College along Mendiola.


Saint Jude Church near Malacanang Palace along Laurel Street. This church is always full of devotees of Saint Jude every Thursday.



The background is the Shrine of Mary, Our Lady of Peace on the boundary of Mandaluyong City and Quezon City. Beneath the shrine is the church that was put up on the site of the bloodless revolution in 1986 that toppled the regime of former President Marcos. The event is now called the EDSA I Revolution. On the same site, President Gloria Macapagasl-Arroyo took her oath of office after then President Joseph Estrada moved out of Malacanang during the so called EDSA 2 revolution.


Above is the 5th church that we visited: the church of the Our Mother of Perpetual in Baclaran, Paranaque City. One of the most popular church in the Philippine which is always full of pilgrims every Wednesday.


The Church of Jesus - the Way, the Truth, and the Life located near SM Mall of Asia.



It was already evening when we reached our last destination: the Malate Church above. The Malate Circle, in front of the church is, as usual, full of people.

7 comments:

Unknown April 3, 2010 at 9:19 PM  

get your daily dose of adult entertainment,with no annoying pop up ads only@
http://hornywebspy.blogspot.com/

Xprosaic April 3, 2010 at 11:00 PM  

Ang galing naman! nagbibisita iglesia... jejejejejejeje... nakakatuwa rin na may picture every church... mukhang ilang ka sa camera ah... jijijijiji... dami ba nakatingin?! jowk! jijijijijijiji

gege April 4, 2010 at 7:15 PM  

namiss ko ngayung taon ang mag bisita iglesia!!!
hayst.
kainggit.
pero babawi ako next year!

^ - ^

web design philippines November 2, 2010 at 5:13 PM  

I love Old Churches. Even if its old for me they are beautiful and amazing.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Foam by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP